Listen to the text and answer the questions below
- brass band -> harmonie (orchestre)
- firing a gun
- hit song -> Chanson à succès
- ragtime -> a musical style that was popular around 1900
- « Satchmo » = contraction of « satchel mouth »
- spent most of his time
Answer in English, using complete sentences
- When and where was Louis Armstrong born?
- Where did Louis Armstrong learn to play the trumpet?
- What did Mr. Louis do after reform school?
- How is « King » Oliver important in Armstrong’s life?
- How did Armstrong get the nickname « Satchmo »?
- Why was he once called a troublemaker?
- Name some famous musicians that Louis Armstrong worked with.
- What do you think is meant by a « white audience », an « all-black Broadway musical »?
- Where did he live at the end of his life?
- Try to understand a few of the words of the last song on the audio file.
- What do you thing « scat singing » is?
This short biography of Louis Armstrong was taken from the Voice of America Special English site.
A link to the original transcript and recording will be provided to the pupils at the next class.